What is the Management Plan?
The Management Plan is the single most important plan for the future of Dartmoor National Park. It provides an opportunity to bring together a wide range of people and organisations around a set of common goals, building on the successes of the last Management Plan and responding to the challenges ahead.
It is the strategic Plan for the National Park, one that will guide decisions affecting Dartmoor's future over the coming five years. The Management Plan is for the National Park as a whole and not just for the National Park Authority; although the Authority, along with many other stakeholders and the local community, will be key to the delivery of the Management Plan. 'Your Dartmoor' is a Plan for all who care about Dartmoor and its future.
The purpose of the Management Plan is to:
- set out a joint, long-term Vision and Ambitions for Dartmoor;
- provide the framework for partnership working through the priorities and action plans;
- provide the framework for all policies and activities in the National Park, co-ordinating and integrating other plans, strategies and actions (including the Local Plan);
- provide the basis for focusing resources and drawing in funding;
- communicate what is important about Dartmoor and the priorities for action to the wider community;
- provide a focus for the work of the DNPA and how it accounts to Government; and
- illustrate how partner organisations contribute to National Park purposes.
The Management Plan is divided into a number of sections. Central to the Plan is the overall Vision and Ambitions, setting out where we want to be in 20 years' time. The Vision has three themes of 'Sustain', 'Enjoy', and 'Prosper', which form the structure for the remaining elements of the Plan. Within each of the three themes are a number of Priorities which will provide the focus for action over the next five years.
The Priorities were identified by consultation and an analysis of the issues and challenges facing the National Park's special qualities, and the public benefits or 'ecosystem services' that these provide. Progress towards delivery of the Vision will be monitored to inform future action. A set of 'core values' has also been identified which will guide how we work together to deliver the Plan.
The diagram shows the Management Plan structure.